- In 2012, Tennessee ranked 1st in the Southeast and 4th in the US for net new manufacturing jobs created (11,200 jobs)
- Business Facilities has named Tennessee the #1 state in the country for automotive manufacturing strength for three consecutive years
Area Technological Research and Support Services
Oak Ridge National Laboratories (ORNL), the nation’s largest multi-disciplinary science and energy laboratory managed by UT-Batelle, offers services in nanotechnology and material sciences, computational sciences, biotechnology, energy and environment, and homeland security.
- 1,600 scientists and engineers; 3,000 guest researchers; largest science & technology lab in the U.S.
- Includes "Titan", the world's fastest supercomputer. Can process over 17 quadrillion calculations per second and hold over 710 terabytes of memory.
- Lab provides access to state-of-the-art technologies, equipment and instrumentation, as well as computational resources that advance transportation technologies.
- Carbon Fiber Technology Facility - a new advanced manufacturing facility to reduce the cost of carbon fiber.
National Transportation Research Center (NTRC) responds to the needs of industry and government agencies by addressing issues related to expanding and maintaining transportation systems. The Center has worked with more than 100 industrial frms offering programs in defense transportation and logistics, fuel, engines, emissions, heavy vehicle safety, structure testing, packaging research and routing optimization, power electronics and electric machinery, and transportation analysis.
Oak Ridge Associated Universities (ORAU), a university consortium that leverages the strengths of 99 research institutions to advance science and education, offers programs focused on science education and workforce development, professional training in health physics, radiation emergency medicine, homeland security, health communication, and national security and emergency management. ORAU also partners with private businesses to deliver innovative solutions that solve pressing problems faced by customers.
Science Applications International Corporation (SAIC), a scientifc, engineering, and technology applications company focused on solving problems of vital importance. SAIC provides services in national security, energy, environment, critical infra- structure, research development, and health.
Abundant Talent Pool of High-Tech Professionals
- 2,300 Ph.Ds
- 2,400 scientists
- Over 5,000 engineers
- 45,000 high-technology professionals
- Over 50,000 students in 15 universities, colleges and technical schools
- 4,000+ students in IT majors and over 5,000 in science, mathematics and engineering
- Tennessee is a right-to-work state.
- Loudon County labor market region is defined within a 30-mile radius extending into 13 counties.
- The mean commute time to work is 24.8 minutes.
- Workforce area population of 417,410 (Knoxville MSA)
- Loudon County’s average weekly manufacturing wage is 13% below the State average and 23% below the national average.
- Unemployment Rate = 4.9% (December 2016)
- Loudon County Laborshed Map
Click here to view the Loudon County Existing Industry Directory
Loudon County Top 10 Employers